Re: USB Gadget Driver query

On Friday 22 January 2010, Bill Gatliff wrote:

> Module parameters? I know this isn't exactly what you were asking, but...

That was the original model, in fact.  They can be given on the
kernel command line, so it works regardless of how the gadget
driver happens to be linked.

As noted earlier by Sai Pavan:  the composite gadget framework
supports all the relevant parameters just fine.  The drivers
expect to see them delivered that way.

Then Felipe Balbi replied:

> the ideal world would be to have board files to pass that information
> down to the gadget driver.

Maybe; but not "ideal enough" to have nudged anyone into providing
patches to do much like that.  The kernel or module parameters are
sufficient to solve the problem.  Network drivers have used them
that way for ages, as one example; so have various block drivers.

If you wanted board files to hold that information, the simplest
way would be to have them prepend entries to the kernel command
line.  (Prepend, so that the command line still carries the final
word on such software config issues.)

The alternative would be to come up with some scheme to pass
additional parameters through several layers of driver stack...
and when such stuff has come up in the past, the most common
answer has been "use kernel/module parameters, that's what they
are there for".

- Dave