Re: USB host on SA1111

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009, Filip Zyzniewski wrote:

> > No.  It results from the value of the NPS bit in the hardware
> > HcRhDescriptorA register.  If value of NPS is 1 then you get that "no
> > power switching" message.  If you want to enable power switching, you
> > might be able to do it by editing ohci-sa1111.c: Make it clear the NPS
> > bit.
>
> I have cleared it but it still reports this way.

Are you certain you cleared it?  Maybe you wrote a 0 but the hardware
kept the bit set to 1.

There's no question that NPS controls the "no power switching" message.
Look at ohci_hub_descriptor() in ohci-hub.c: If NPS is set then the
routine sets the 2 bit in wHubCharacteristics.  And look at
hub_configure() in drivers/usb/core/hub.c: If the 2 bit is set in
wHubCharacteristics then it prints the "no power switching" message.

> This cannot be the
> cause of communication problems however, can it?

No.

> > You should post some usbmon traces.  You should also get a stack trace
> > (Alt-SysRq-T) to find out where rmmod hangs.  And you should check out
> > the contents of the debugging files under
> > /sys/kernel/debug/usb/ohci/0400/.
>
> To do this effectively I need to learn more about USB. For now I have
> only sysrq-t result:
> http://filip.eu.org/jornada/usb_host/dmesgs/rmmod_trace.txt
> I will dive into it soon.

It suggests that khubd is stuck waiting for ohci-hcd to do something.
Probably waiting for an interrupt.

Alan Stern