Re: Alan's idea about syspending the whole bus at once

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Alan, I took your idea of just suspending the bus. It seems to me
> that we cannot do that unconditionally, as for some drivers like
> btusb simply continuing transmission is wrong. But with a flag it
> is a fascinating idea, because we cannot resume faster than by
> doing nothing.
> So this is the first draft. Comments?

You must have misunderstood my idea.  I never meant to skip notifying
drivers about suspends.  The point was to avoid actually suspending and
resuming the devices.  Did you read the test patch?

I don't see any benefit to your patch.  Instead of having a
"supports_transparent_suspend" flag, why not just have suspend and
resume routines that do nothing?

Alan Stern