Re: USB host on SA1111

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> By contrast, the "OHCI 1.0" value comes directly from the hardware.  As
> far as I know there is no OHCI-1.1 standard, so it's not surprising
> that the device only claims compatibility with OHCI-1.0.

Yes, I have mixed OHCI revision with USB revision, sorry :).

> No.  It results from the value of the NPS bit in the hardware
> HcRhDescriptorA register.  If value of NPS is 1 then you get that "no
> power switching" message.  If you want to enable power switching, you
> might be able to do it by editing ohci-sa1111.c: Make it clear the NPS
> bit.

I have cleared it but it still reports this way. This cannot be the
cause of communication problems however, can it?

> You should post some usbmon traces.  You should also get a stack trace
> (Alt-SysRq-T) to find out where rmmod hangs.  And you should check out
> the contents of the debugging files under
> /sys/kernel/debug/usb/ohci/0400/.

To do this effectively I need to learn more about USB. For now I have
only sysrq-t result:
http://filip.eu.org/jornada/usb_host/dmesgs/rmmod_trace.txt
I will dive into it soon.

In the meantime I have followed a suggestion from mkl lin
<mkl0301@xxxxxxxxxxx> to disable d-cache:

> I did it. I prepared a minimal kernel with this config:
> http://filip.math.uni.lodz.pl/jornada/usb_host/dmesgs/kernelconfig
> I ran two test sessions. One with d-cache enabled, and one with
> d-cache disabled.
>
> Tested device was connected before booting.
> Testing with d-cache disables was a royal PITA, because it tends to
> freeze in random moments and
> reboot procedure of the jornada is a bit painful (running through
> wince dialogs).
>
> I have placed logs from various tests here:
> http://filip.math.uni.lodz.pl/jornada/usb_host/dmesgs/
>
> It seems to go further with device initalisation without d-cache. It
> can even sometimes bind a driver
> to a device:
> http://filip.math.uni.lodz.pl/jornada/usb_host/dmesgs/without_d_cache/mouse.txt
> http://filip.math.uni.lodz.pl/jornada/usb_host/dmesgs/without_d_cache/gps-5.txt
>
> and works a bit with a hub:
> http://filip.math.uni.lodz.pl/jornada/usb_host/dmesgs/without_d_cache/hub-pendrive-mouse-3.txt
>
> I am not sure this is a problem with cache handling or maybe it does
> better because of a massive slowdown
> (4 bogomips instead of 140).

Is this a valuable trace?

regards,