Re: USB host on SA1111

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Filip Zyzniewski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have found out a way to connect an USB receptacle to USB host pins on
> SA1111 inside a HP Jornada 720. The modification is described at
> http://jlime.com/mw4/index.php/Hardware_documentation_jornada700_usbhost .
>
> Unfortunately it still doesn't work as expected - I have dumped some dmesgs
> here: http://filip.math.uni.lodz.pl/jornada/usb_host/ .
> The most interesting ones are these where kernel can retrieve proper
> identification numbers (optical mouse, card driver). But communication fails
> afterwards. Devices aren't usable.
>
> Things that surprise me in these logs:
>
> [ 1126.593375] sa1111-ohci 0400: OHCI 1.0, NO legacy support registers
>
> I've googled dmesg dumps and usually it says "with legacy support registers".
> OHCI 1.0 seems strange (SA1111 is 1.1 compatible), but i've seen that people
> have it in their logs.

The legacy support thing is a bug in ohci-dbg.c.  Look at the first
line of ohci_dump_status():

	temp = ohci_readl (controller, &regs->revision) & 0xff;

The "& 0xff" shouldn't be there.

By contrast, the "OHCI 1.0" value comes directly from the hardware.  As
far as I know there is no OHCI-1.1 standard, so it's not surprising
that the device only claims compatibility with OHCI-1.0.

> [ 1127.025533] hub 1-0:1.0: no power switching (usb 1.0)
>
> SA1111 is able to control power switching (and I have implemented the circuitry
> doing this with a TPS2043). This probably results from detecting it as
> a 1.0 host.

No.  It results from the value of the NPS bit in the hardware
HcRhDescriptorA register.  If value of NPS is 1 then you get that "no
power switching" message.  If you want to enable power switching, you
might be able to do it by editing ohci-sa1111.c: Make it clear the NPS
bit.

> I am posting this in hope that somebody could give me pointers about where
> to begin digging to fix this. I think hardware part is ok, because id
> numbers ARE somehow transferred. What do you think about it?
>
> I know this is an old hardware, but HP Jornadas are still widely used
> (especially
> by nerds) thanks to their unique balance of features (size, keyboard,
> battery life,
> slots etc.). There is an active users community at http://www.jlime.com/.

You should post some usbmon traces.  You should also get a stack trace
(Alt-SysRq-T) to find out where rmmod hangs.  And you should check out
the contents of the debugging files under
/sys/kernel/debug/usb/ohci/0400/.

Alan Stern