Re: Slow enumeration of Creative Sound Blaster G3

On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 11:28:47AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 12:03:42PM +0100, Andreas Kempf wrote:
> > This whole issue is extremely confusing to me as I cannot really figure
> > out a pattern. Today I tried the following:
> > - I plugged the device in on Linux: issue occurred
> > - I plugged the device into a different port on the same machine on
> >   Linux: issue occurred.
> > - I plugged the device into an Android phone: played audio immediately
> > - I plugged the device into a Laptop running Arch on 6.6.1: played audio
> >   immediately (?!)

> > - I booted the machine on Linux with the device already plugged in:
> >   played audio immediately (?!)
> > - I booted Windows and plugged in the device: played audio immediately
> > - I plugged a keyboard and a mouse into the port: no issues
>
> Yeah, it's really hard to tell what's happening.

Here's a thought: Maybe the problem is caused by insufficient power.
That could easily explain the odd behavior you see (some computers can
provide more USB power than others; the power available over a USB
connection may vary with time; the device's audio functions might
require more power than the simple USB functions used for enumeration).

Is the Sound Blaster card powered solely by its USB connection?  If it
is, you could try connecting to the computer via a powered hub.  A
powered hub should provide plenty of power over its downstream USB
ports.

Alan Stern