Re: Configuring alternate settings in USB3.0 using xHCI

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 09:10:25PM +0530, Ramya Desai wrote:
> Dear experts,
>
> We are using USB3.0 host with xHCI HCD driver. Our USB device
> Interface has two alternate settings. One with two endpoints and the
> other with four. When we try to configure it for alt setting “0”, we
> do not see any problem and it seems to work fine. However, when we are
> trying to configure our device to an alternate setting “1”  we get an
> error reported back from xHCI saying

> Endpoint state = 0x0
> WARN urb submitted to disabled ep
>
> This is leading us to the comments in xhci-ring.c  as
>
> /*
>  * USB core changed config/interfaces without notifying us,
>  * or hardware is reporting the wrong state.
> */
>
> Note: When we try to connect our device through EHCI, then everything
> seems to be working fine.
>
> Are there any implementation differences between USB 3.0 and USB 2.0
> in terms of setting the alternate setting through the SET INTERFACE
> call?
>
> The kernel version we are using is 2.6.31.5.

Alternate interface settings aren't supported on that kernel version.
I'm currently working on a patch series to support alt settings.  If you
want to test it out, you can test the xhci-alt-settings branch of my git
repository like so:

t clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sarah/xhci.git
cd xhci/
git checkout -b xhci-alt-settings origin/xhci-alt-settings

I'll be rebasing that branch in the next couple of days with a couple of
minor changes, so you may need to use git reset --hard after I update.
The patches work fine, they just need a bit of polish before they're
submitted.  Once the patches are queued by Greg (probably for 2.6.33),
I'll move them over to my master branch and delete the
xhci-alt-settings branch.

Feel free to send me any questions about the xHCI driver.

Sarah Sharp