Re: looking for an advice on debugging USB 2.0

Hi,

2009/11/23 Clemens Ladisch <clemens@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Insufficient for what?  MIDI and full duplex audio with 16 bits at
> 44.1 kHz work fine with full speed.

Not quite. Counterexamples include mp3 playback (16 bit / 44.1 KHz or
less) from a computer to the audio interface (clicks and distorted
sound after several seconds - probably a buffer overflow symptom -
gets even worse after more time) and playing virtual instruments by
sending MIDI to a software synthesizer like fluidsynth, with audio
being sent back to the audio interface (clicks, delays, distortion).

>> which is solved in Windows by manufacturer device drivers.
>
> The only reason for those drivers is that Microsoft's drivers don't
> support ASIO.

Okay, thanks for letting know.

>> The fact is that the device does work at high speed in Windows with
>> the same cable and controller.
>
> Is that "high speed" or "USB 2.0"?

"High speed" = 480 Mb/s. Tested with kqemu as well as a USB monitor
tool in Windows.

However, in Linux it is UHCI/USB 1.1, with the speed being 12 Mb/s.

> If the device supports high speed (which I don't believe),

Well, the manual does say "USB 2.0", although I see you point.

> then this can
> only be enabled with some vendor-specific command.  Documentation for
> that would be available (or not) only from M-Audio.

I couldn't find any such documentation in the Internet. On their
support forum, I even saw a declaration by M-Audio that they offer no
specific Linux support. Should this command appear in USB traffic
logs?

How one proceeds when USB 2.0 is enabled? Should there be a forced
disconnection and reconnection of the device to an EHCI hub? (Although
Windows connects only once.)

Regards,
Vladimir