Re: [look like bug] System freeze with cdc-ether(?), 2.6.31.5 & 2.6.32-rc8.

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009, Gennady Kupava wrote:

> Hello, guys.
>
> I've got very annoying problem recently, I'm using vanilla kernel, so I
> expect my bug can be handled by someone here.
>
> 1. One line summary of the problem:
> Compete system freeze on unplugging chc-ether device.
>
> 2. Full description of the problem/report:
> My system is freezing on unplugging neo freerunner, which has cdc-ether
> over usb interface. Network works fine always. System freezes with 20%
> probability, completely, I've tried it on bare console without even
> nvidia module loaded or any X11 started. I did 5 plug/unplug and,
> without any output it froze. This is reproducible. I have no logs -
> nothing is saved on disk in this crashes.
>
> I had same problem with 2.6.31, rechecked with 2.6.31.5 and with
> 2.6.32-rc8, no difference.
> I'm unsure what did I done to reveal this problem - not sure I had any
> problems before with 2.6.31, something might be changed in other side
> kernel.
>
> Freerunner has custom 2.6.29.
>
> The freerunner (as other side) works fine after host system crash.
>
> I've enabled usb debug option in 2.6.32-rc8, seems kernel work a bit
> after crash - I were able to press 'ENTER' on non-usb keyboard and got
> bash promt '#' after that system hung comletely, no response from
> ethernet, acpi power button or so.
>
> Last log lines on console (i made screen photo as it is not saved):
> www.bsdmn.com/tmp/buglog.jpg

For the cdc-ether experts, here's a clue.  The last kernel message on
the screenshot reports a bug.  Endpoint 0x81 was being disabled while
the completion handler for one of its URBs was still running.  Don't
ask me how that could have happened.

Alan Stern