Re: BisonCam 5986:0203 kills USB

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Stephan Diestelhorst wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 17. November 2009 16:04:14 schrieb Oliver Neukum:
> > > > > >
> > > Several volunteers and me have experimented with the udelay values.
> > > See
> > >  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/435352/comments/167
> > >
> > > It seems that a delay of 400 usec fixes the thing, and that we're
> > > nowhere near the requested 50 usecs.
> > >
> > > Seems like someone either adds the udelay(400) or introduces a proper
> > > fix  (with timers). I am too inexperienced in USB things to fully
> > > understand the negative implications of the former or do the latter.
> >
> > as this affects only buggy chipsets, I'd prefer to just add the required
> > udelay conditional on a chipset quirk. Do you concur? Do you want me
> > to do it and close this bug?
>
> Thanks for looking into this Oliver! Have you had any chance to work
> on this, yet?

Ditto.  It's kind of surprising to see such a blatant bug in an Intel
chipset.  Is the 82801G family used in anything other than these
netbooks?  Do the same problems occur?

Alan Stern

P.S.: Sarah, is Intel aware of this problem?  Is there somebody we
should report it to?

Basically, the EHCI controller on these computers has a bug: If you
enable the periodic schedule and then try to disable it too quickly
thereafter (i.e., less than 400 us but after the PSS bit in the
status register has turned on), it remains enabled.