Re: PROBLEM: usb core looses input packets

Please format your email text to wrap after 72 columns or so.

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Günter Gebhardt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use the usb_bulk_msg() kernel function to write and read to and
> from a USB device respectively.
> Sometimes the usb_bulk_msg() is missing to deliver an incoming
> packet.

How do you know?

> This packet is seen however by an USB analyser (Beagle USB 480). A
> fragment of the Beagle log is located in the attachment beagle.csv.
> The packets in concern have the index number 1132287 and 1132325,
> where the first is a device request and the latter is the missing
> corresponding response.

How do you know it is missing?

> A measurement with usbmon shows that this very response is not
> delivered by the host controller driver. The packet with index
> d3196a40 in the attachments usbmon.txt (complete traffic) and
> usbmon_filtered.txt (only the traffic with the device in concern)
> show that the request is sent to device but the corresponding
> response is never delivered.

usbmon sometimes drops events.  The response may very well have been
received by usb_bulk_msg() even though it did not show up in the usbmon
trace.  The only way to tell for certain that it wasn't received is to
have your driver print a log message before and after it calls
usb_bulk_msg().

Alan Stern