Hardware handshaking not enabled for FTDI-based usb serial adapters in 2.6.32-rc7

It appears that the FTDI usb serial driver (drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c) in
2.6.32-rc7 still has problems with hardware handshaking. In response to a
customer support call I have investigated a bit and find that both 2.6.31.6
and 2.6.32-rc7 have the same behavior, whereas version 2.6.30 does not.

Our hardware uses the FT232BL chip. In our application we first connect to the
hardware at 9600 8 1 N, without handshaking. This works find. A little later
we turn up the baud rate to either 1200000 or 115200 depending on the flavor
of hardware connected, and enable hardware handshaking. At this point the
application stops working. Enabling debug tracing reveals that ftdi_dtr_rts()
is never called and DTR and RTS are never raised. In earlier versions this
was done in ftdi_open() and if I add that code back in it all works. Also,
if I turn off hardware handshaking in our application it works as expected.
I have also confirmed this same behavior with another ftdi-based usb serial
adapter made by another vendor (Easy Sync with uses the FT232RL chip).

I believe the high-level driver tty driver is not requesting that the
handshake signals be enabled or set appropriately.

Martin Geleynse

Martin Geleynse
Senior Manager, Software Development
NDI