Re: Exposing vendor-specific ACM channels to userspace as tty devices

Am Dienstag, 17. November 2009 22:56:04 schrieb Adrian Taylor:
> Thanks Oliver and Alan for your comments. I hadn't realised that the
> driver core would try alternative drivers - that's exactly the sort of
> thing I needed to know, thanks. rndis_host will indeed return ENODEV
> if it fails to initialise the device. Is there any way to guarantee
> that rndis_host gets to look at it before cdc-acm? That would give the
> desired behaviour.

No, either driver may be present in memory.

> An alternative could be to list the various specific vendor/product
> IDs for each Nokia phone. But there are many new ones each year so I
> assume we don't want to do that. Or perhaps cdc-acm could claim the
> interface for any Nokia device. (Some Nokia phones also support RNDIS,
> so I'd need to be careful.)

In this case I see only an ugly solution. Copy the detection code
from rndis-host and reverse the logic.

> Oliver, to answer your specific points:
> > If it is a serial port, why not as a serial port /dev/ttyUSBx ?
>
> Whatever you think is preferable. The existing CDC ACM driver requires
> zero changes to do the right thing, so that's why I stuck with its
> default device name.

If it generates ACM messages over the master interface, it should be ACM,
otherwise plain usb serial.

	Regards
		Oliver