Re: Exposing vendor-specific ACM channels to userspace as tty devices

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 09:56:04PM +0000, Adrian Taylor wrote:

> >> The best way is to have each driver probe the interface and check
> >> whether it is the right driver.  If it isn't the probe should fail
> >> with -ENODEV; then the driver core will continue on to probe other
> >> drivers.
> >
> > Yes. The problem is how to tell that something is not a serial
> > interface.
> > It should have two bulk pipes. That is not very diagnostic. We can
> > hardly
> > guess that it is a pseudo-acm interface if it is on the same device as
> > a real acm interface.
>
> Thanks Oliver and Alan for your comments. I hadn't realised that the
> driver core would try alternative drivers - that's exactly the sort of
> thing I needed to know, thanks. rndis_host will indeed return ENODEV
> if it fails to initialise the device. Is there any way to guarantee
> that rndis_host gets to look at it before cdc-acm? That would give the
> desired behaviour.

No, you can't guarantee it, it depends on link and/or module load order.

> An alternative could be to list the various specific vendor/product
> IDs for each Nokia phone.

That's probably the best thing to do for now.  That way we know the
devices that work properly.

> But there are many new ones each year so I  assume we don't want to do
> that.

We do that today for lots of different devices.  Users can also add
device ids dynamically to the kernel at run-time, so it is not required
that they rebuild their kernel.

thanks,

greg k-h