Re: A videocam works on OHCI and fails on UHCI (fwd)

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009, Alan Stern wrote:

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009, Theodore Kilgore wrote:

Now, what is happening is that all of the supported cameras work
beautifully when hooked to a machine which is using OHCI. Most of them
also work beautifully when hooked up to a machine which is using UHCI. But
the CIF type 1 cameras fail to work properly if hooked to a machine
running UHCI. They are detected correctly, and apparently are initialized
correctly (I have looked at a bit of dmesg output, usbmon output and such,
by now) but when they are asked to emit a stream across the isochronous
endpoint the stream is not forthcoming.

I have tested now on six machines, as I said. Three of them are OHCI
type machines, and all of the cameras run. Three of them are UHCI type
machines, and the CIF type 1 cameras do not run. Of course, the problem
could be local to the driver code itself. But with a consistent pattern
like that one does begin to wonder.

It could be a matter of insufficient power.  Maybe the OHCI controllers
provide more bus current than the UHCI controllers do.  Are the failing
cameras bus-powered?  (Also, have you tried connecting the cameras to
the UHCI controller through a powered hub?)

If that's not the case, perhaps you could post a pair of usbmon traces
for the same camera, showing how it works with one controller but not
with another.

Alan Stern

Alan,

Update. I found a good battery. But there is no good result. It does not help the situation.

Theodore Kilgore