Re: Mouse won't work after fresh boot but works fine after unplug/plug

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 18:35:48 -0500 (EST)
Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Jesse Barnes wrote:
>
> > I don't know exactly when this started happening, sometime after
> > 2.6.30 I think.
> >
> > I have a couple of mice that don't work if they're plugged in at
> > boot. During and after boot (while not working) see a bunch of:
> > [   88.364551] hub 2-1.4:1.0: connect-debounce failed, port 2
> > disabled messages in the log (full dmesg attached).
> >
> > If I unplug the mouse and plug it back in, it works fine.  But it's
> > a pain to do this after every reboot.
> >
> > Any ideas?  Sarah thought it might be related to some of the boot
> > time speedup stuff that's gone in fairly recently.
>
> It's notable that your log shows there are two EHCI controllers but
> no UHCI or OHCI companion controllers.  Is this system based on
> Intel's P55 chipset?  There have been numerous reports of hardware
> bugs in the way that chipset handles low-speed or full-speed devices.

It's a new chipset yeah (an unreleased one), but this behavior also
occurred on an older board with a G45 chipset.  And I only noticed it
sometime after 2.6.30; 2.6.28 was fine iirc.

> If you're sure it's not a hardware issue, and you don't want to go
> through a bisection search just yet, try doing this: Prevent ehci-hcd
> from loaded automatically during bootup.  When you then load it
> manually, does the same thing happen?

Ok, I'll give that a try.