Re: Mouse won't work after fresh boot but works fine after unplug/plug

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Jesse Barnes wrote:

> I don't know exactly when this started happening, sometime after 2.6.30
> I think.
>
> I have a couple of mice that don't work if they're plugged in at boot.
> During and after boot (while not working) see a bunch of:
> [   88.364551] hub 2-1.4:1.0: connect-debounce failed, port 2 disabled
> messages in the log (full dmesg attached).
>
> If I unplug the mouse and plug it back in, it works fine.  But it's a
> pain to do this after every reboot.
>
> Any ideas?  Sarah thought it might be related to some of the boot time
> speedup stuff that's gone in fairly recently.

It's notable that your log shows there are two EHCI controllers but no
UHCI or OHCI companion controllers.  Is this system based on Intel's
P55 chipset?  There have been numerous reports of hardware bugs in the
way that chipset handles low-speed or full-speed devices.

If you're sure it's not a hardware issue, and you don't want to go
through a bisection search just yet, try doing this: Prevent ehci-hcd
from loaded automatically during bootup.  When you then load it
manually, does the same thing happen?

Alan Stern