Re: [Fwd: Requests regarding sysfs documentation and USB]

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, Michael Thayer wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 10:38 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> > > The other request is for some way to inhibit loading of in-kernel USB
> > [snip] Or maybe you mean "binding" rather than "loading".
> Indeed, sorry about that.
>
> > The feature you appear to be asking for has already been added to the
> > 2.6.32 kernel.  For more information see
> >
> > 	http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=124650199917239&w=2
> Looks reasonable for our purposes.  One question though - you mention
> that "The patch does not guarantee exclusive access to these devices; it
> is still possible for more than one program to open the device file
> concurrently".  Is there a specific reason for this, or would it be
> something that could still be changed, or perhaps added as an option?

This was the subject of a discussion on LKML back at the time the patch
was being written.  You might be able to find it in the archives.  The
overall conclusion was that there already are mechanisms for this (like
O_EXCL) and the kernel doesn't need to get involved any further.

> And thanks for your informative reply!

You're welcome.

Alan Stern