Re: [Fwd: Requests regarding sysfs documentation and USB]

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 21:59 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, Michael Thayer wrote:
> > Looks reasonable for our purposes.  One question though - you mention
> > that "The patch does not guarantee exclusive access to these devices; it
> > is still possible for more than one program to open the device file
> > concurrently".  Is there a specific reason for this, or would it be
> > something that could still be changed, or perhaps added as an option?
>
> This was the subject of a discussion on LKML back at the time the patch
> was being written.  You might be able to find it in the archives.  The
> overall conclusion was that there already are mechanisms for this (like
> O_EXCL) and the kernel doesn't need to get involved any further.
Did you mean http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/5/9/202 ?  I may have
misunderstood something here (if so, my apologies), but I thought that
use of O_EXCL for exclusive access to devices was a convention used by
certain drivers (like the SCSI generic code) but not actually enforced
by the generic kernel code.  Or did you add support of that flag
somewhere I missed?

Regards,

Michael
--
Sun Microsystems GmbH        Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24               VirtualBox engineer

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028