Re: usb disk drive disconnect making readonly

On Fri, 6 May 2022 at 15:35, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Hi Alan,
> >
> > Here are some log messages. I suspect the storage device is going into
> > some sort of sleep mode, and the kernel does not seem to be able to
> > wake it up again.
> > The device is a USB to NVME adapter. Using the chip: Realtek RTL9210
> > The log is perfectly normal up until the 2nd line below onwards:
>
> That log isn't sufficient.
>
> It would be a big help if instead of sending your kernel log file, you send
> the output of the "dmesg" program.  And don't send just the part
> starting where the problem begins; we need to see what happened before
> that as well.
>
> In addition, it would help if you enable USB debugging before the
> problem occurs:
>
>         echo 'module usbcore =p' >/sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control

Hi,

I will try to get some more logs the next time it happens.
dmesg is not available. As the disk has essentially failed at that
point, nothing works (no keyboard input), so the only way I have got
any useful output has been with rsyslog over the network, and then
show the syslog output on that remote machine.

Kind Regards

James