Re: usb disk drive disconnect making readonly

Please use Reply-To-All so that your messages get sent to the mailing
list as well as to me.

On Thu, May 05, 2022 at 11:32:14PM +0100, James Dutton wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2022 at 15:16, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > There is no way to know what is going on unless you provide a lot more
> > information.  The dmesg log showing what happens during one of these
> > disconnect/reconnect events would be a good start (although it probably
> > won't be enough).
> >
> > Alan Stern
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> Here are some log messages. I suspect the storage device is going into
> some sort of sleep mode, and the kernel does not seem to be able to
> wake it up again.
> The device is a USB to NVME adapter. Using the chip: Realtek RTL9210
> The log is perfectly normal up until the 2nd line below onwards:

That log isn't sufficient.

It would be a big help if instead of sending your kernel log file, you send
the output of the "dmesg" program.  And don't send just the part
starting where the problem begins; we need to see what happened before
that as well.

In addition, it would help if you enable USB debugging before the
problem occurs:

	echo 'module usbcore =p' >/sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control

Alan Stern