Anyone understand Nak count reload?

Dear Experts,

Does anyone understand how the "nak count reload" feature in EHCI works?

I have an embedded system with a PCI bus connecting the processor to a USB host controller and some other peripherals. The bandwidth of this bus is rather poor and I would like to minimise the amount used by the USB controller. It seems that when it is polling e.g. a bulk IN endpoint it does quite a lot of PCI activity in order to access its schedule data structures, even if no USB data is actually transferred. I would like to reduce the frequency of polling in this case.

Looking at the EHCI spec, I have found a feature called "nak count reload" that may do what I want. AFAICS, the Linux EHCI driver [warning, old kernel!] sets this to 4. I have the impression that this should allow me to introduce some sort of pause after 4 consecutive Naks. However, I get lost is a maze of twisty spec suibsections, all different, at this point. So can anyone help me understand what is supposed to happen, and what I can adjust, after those 4 Naks?

Many thanks,

Phil.