AW: unreliable USBTMC driver with Tektronix TDS1012B

hi gergely

please read the mailing list archives before you ask a question.
yes you are absolutely right, the behaviour you see is what we also reported here on the mailinglist. i'm a usbtmc driver user, not a kernel hacker, so i follow the mailing list and wait for patches to test.

>I was testing the usbtmc driver with a number of Tektronix TD1012B
>oscilloscopes that I could get my hands on in our lab.
>It works to a certain degree, but is very unreliable. Since I couldn't
>find a whole lot of documentation on how to interface it, I tried
>similar things what Agilent wrote up [1] - though I know that driver
>must be different from the current one that I use in 2.6.30.5. The
>method is basically using the normal file handling routines on the
>device file (e.g. /dev/usbtmc0):

communicating with devices is the same, the ioctl functions are now sysfs files.

in the mean time, you can still use the agilent driver you referenced. unload the mainline usbtmc module (rmmod) and use the load script from the agilent driver. works well on a 2.6.30 kernel.

>Isn't the expected behaviour just a single line of the ID string?
>TEKTRONIX,TDS 1012B,C010499,CF:91.1CT FV:v22.01

yes.

>4)
>Is there a buffer built in the kernel side somewhere? I see that the
>data read is only possible in 1024byte portions.
>E.g. retrieving a scan from the oscilloscope ("CURVE?" query) in
>binary should return a 2507byte, or 5007byte length string (where the
>last byte is the line-feed).
>On windows, the Talker-Listener reads all this in one go, wheres on
>linux I have to do multiple reads and stitch them together.
>Also, there are quite a few times when (on Linux) I cannot read all
>the data that I expect, and receive less then the required bytes.

as i know, this works also with the agilent driver. i testet a lot sending big amount of data to the tmc device (>500mbyte).
with tmc reads i haven't seen some 1024 byte limits.

sincerely,
christoph zimmermann--