Re: Kernel lockup when unplugging device from hub

Hi Alan,

I've applied the patch you've sent in the other thread. It seems to work
properly, I'm no longer seeing the DMA errors in my logs. I do still see some
XactErrs when unplugging the device, but those are probably to be expected
when unplugging a device. It seems this issue is resolved for me, then?

The other issue I was having, with my tablet generating errors seems to be
traceable to my new USB hub. I have no such problems with another hub. The new
hub consists of two nested four port hubs, giving one 7 port hub, where the
problem only occurs when using the inner hub. I'll try the hub on another
os or kernel version to double check the hardware.

Another thing I was seeing just now, is XactErrs when nothing is plugged into
the (possibly faulty) hub. Interestingly enough, the retry counts there were
negative, starting with -223. Looking at the code, I'm not so sure if this is
supposed to happen. It seems that the qh->xacterrs variable is somehow large
(255, since the retry count is 32 - xacterrs). This smells like an overflow,
which probably shouldn't happen.

I'll dig into this issue a bit more, probably in another thread (unless you
think they are related?).

Anything else you need from me to confirm the patch is ok?

Gr.

Matthijs