Re: Kernel lockup when unplugging device from hub

(Please CC me, I'm not subscribed)

Hi Alan,

firstly, I tried disabling the USB_TT_NEWSCHED. That didn't solve the lockup
problem. The rest of my tests have been done without NEWSCHED enabled.

> 	http://marc.info/?t=124807676700001&r=1&w=2
> You can try repeating some of the tests described there.
I've applied the patch suggested there. This obviously doesn't show the
warning anymore, but it also prevents my system from locking up. Instead of
the warning and lockup, I now get messages telling me ehci can't reset the
(Keyboard receiver) device, with error codes -71 or -108. Most of the times I
get both codes, but sometimes only -108 and once neither.

Apart from the errors messages, my system seems usuable, though I've had some
problems with my tablet (see below) and foun that my keyboard stopped
responding at times, which might or might not be related.

All of the following tests are with the patch applied.

Just like in the thread you refer to, I get some dma_pool_destroy errors when
removing the ehci_hcd module:
  ehci_hcd 0000:00:13.2: dma_pool_destroy ehci_qtd, ffff88004880f000 busy
  ehci_hcd 0000:00:13.2: dma_pool_destroy ehci_qh, ffff88004884c000 busy

Additionally, I get a lot of these (I think they started only after the first
disconnect or rmmod, not 100% sure):
  ehci_hcd 0000:00:13.2: detected XactErr len 0/8 retry 25
with incrementing retry numbers (I also saw a retry -189 once), or
combinations of these two lines:
  ehci_hcd 0000:00:13.2: detected XactErr len 0/9 retry 1
  usb 1-2.1.3: unlink qh4-0601/ffff88004884c6c0 start 1 [1/2 us]
with retry 1 every time. The latter seem to be outputted only when I have my
wacom tablet plugged in, and seem to cause it to be jumpy. This seems an
unrelated issue, though, since these messages appear at boot already, befor
unplugging any device.

Not sure how relevant this is, but as soon as I rmmod'ed the ehci_hcd module,
the USB devices registered with the ochi_hcd module (I think) and continued
working, with no more errors when unplugging anything.

I originally thought that the dma_pool_destroy errors disappeared when
ohci_hcd is not loaded, though on a second try, they were still there.

I did a more extended test (where I started out with too many USB devices
plugged in, sorry for that noise). I did find that the can't reset errors
didn't occur when unplugging my tablet, only with the keyboard receiver.

I've also enabled usbmon and got a few traces. Please find a full kernel log,
from boot at http://www.stdout.nl/ehci-debug/kernel.log.txt together with
http://www.stdout.nl/ehci-debug/during-disconnect.usbmon.txt and
http://www.stdout.nl/ehci-debug/during-rmmod.usbmon.txt

I hope this helps.