USB device not found on boot, only on insertion

I'm having some issues with a Philips IR Transceiver misbehaving if
it's inserted on boot. Removing it and reinserting it always gets it
running, but never when it is present during startup. It doesn't matter
if its a hot or cold boot or even a reboot.

I get this during bootup:

usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
usb 2-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62
usb 2-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
usb 2-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62
usb 2-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4
usb 2-2: device not accepting address 4, error -62
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 5
usb 2-2: device not accepting address 5, error -62
hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2

And on insertion:

usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 6
usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0471, idProduct=060c
usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 2-2: Product: BB+ Dongle(e.d)
usb 2-2: Manufacturer:
usb 2-2: SerialNumber: ICC@

Windows seems to have similar problems, so it might be a hardware bug.
I'm still hoping for a workaround though. Is there any way I can force
the bus to power down and up again to simulate removal and reinsertion?

Rgds
--
     -- Pierre Ossman

  Linux kernel, MMC maintainer        http://www.kernel.org
  rdesktop, core developer          http://www.rdesktop.org
  TigerVNC, core developer          http://www.tigervnc.org

  WARNING: This correspondence is being monitored by the
  Swedish government. Make sure your server uses encryption
  for SMTP traffic and consider using PGP for end-to-end
  encryption.