Re: USB device not found on boot, only on insertion

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009, Pierre Ossman wrote:

> I'm having some issues with a Philips IR Transceiver misbehaving if
> it's inserted on boot. Removing it and reinserting it always gets it
> running, but never when it is present during startup. It doesn't matter
> if its a hot or cold boot or even a reboot.
>
> I get this during bootup:
>
> usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
> usb 2-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62
> usb 2-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62
> usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
> usb 2-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62
> usb 2-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62
> usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4
> usb 2-2: device not accepting address 4, error -62
> usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 5
> usb 2-2: device not accepting address 5, error -62
> hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
>
> And on insertion:
>
> usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 6
> usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0471, idProduct=060c
> usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
> usb 2-2: Product: BB+ Dongle(e.d)
> usb 2-2: Manufacturer:
> usb 2-2: SerialNumber: ICC@
> usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>
> Windows seems to have similar problems, so it might be a hardware bug.

It probably is -- a bug in the device, that is.

> I'm still hoping for a workaround though. Is there any way I can force
> the bus to power down and up again to simulate removal and reinsertion?

Not on normal desktop and laptop PCs; the USB hardware doesn't provide
power control.  However some hubs (not all!) do allow port power
control.  See

	http://www.gniibe.org/ac-power-by-usb/ac-power-control.html

Alan Stern