Re: Modified usb-devices.sh script

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, Frans Pop wrote:

> One more question. Should we also try to keep the formatting the same as
> the devices file?
>
> For example, from /proc/bus/usb/devices:
>   T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=480 MxCh= 4
> versus the script:
>   T:  Bus=1 Lev=0 Prnt=0 Port=0 Cnt=0 Dev#=1 Spd=480 MxCh=4
>
> It should be relatively easy to make them the same, but I'm in two minds
> about it myself.
>
> Advantage of the formatting is that lines of the same type will line up
> nicely. OTOH, the formatting in the file is rather inconsistent (leading
> spaces versus zeros) and having spaces in a 'xxx=<value>' is also not all
> that great for either readability or parsing.
>
> Thoughts?

The details of the formatting don't matter too much to me; I can read
it okay either way.  While there is something to be said for having
all the entries line up, it doesn't matter much because lines of the
same type don't occur next to each other.  Which means that the
script's formatting has a slight edge.

(Not to mention that leading 0's seem to suggest a value is octal or
hex, even when it isn't.)

Alan Stern