Re: Modified usb-devices.sh script

On Saturday 20 June 2009, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:15:08AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
> > > BTW, are there plans to include this script in some source
> > > repository somewhere?
> >
> > Ask Greg.  I imagine it would be a useful addition to the usbutils
> > package.
>
> Yes, I want to add it to the usbutils package.  I'll wait till we get a
> final version, and then add it and do a new release.

Cool. In that case I'll also try to cobble together a basic man page.

One more question. Should we also try to keep the formatting the same as
the devices file?

For example, from /proc/bus/usb/devices:
  T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=480 MxCh= 4
versus the script:
  T:  Bus=1 Lev=0 Prnt=0 Port=0 Cnt=0 Dev#=1 Spd=480 MxCh=4

It should be relatively easy to make them the same, but I'm in two minds
about it myself.

Advantage of the formatting is that lines of the same type will line up
nicely. OTOH, the formatting in the file is rather inconsistent (leading
spaces versus zeros) and having spaces in a 'xxx=<value>' is also not all
that great for either readability or parsing.

Thoughts?