Re: Debugging bus resets

On Wed, 13 May 2009, Brad Schick wrote:

>  On 05/13/2009 01:13 PM, Alan Stern wrote:
> >>  It would still
> >> be nice to have a good way to correlate the logs beyond manually
> >> matching up requests and responses.
> >>

> > I'm not sure how that could be done.  usbmon runs at a layer where
> > there's no particular information about the origin of an URB.
> > Detailed comparison of timestamps, perhaps?  But remember, the kernel
> > logs generally aren't intended for automatic analysis; they are meant
> > to be read manually.
> >

> Yes, timestamps would be a great help.

Don't say "would" -- your logs already contain high-precision
timestamps.  For example, in this usbfs_snoop entry:

> May 13 11:47:53 wegos-desktop kernel: [69330.277838] usb 1-1.1.2: urb complete

the 69330.277838 is a timestamp.  And in the corresponding line from
the usbmon log:

> f33e4e00 1298424607 C Ci:1:057:0 0 18 = 12010002 ff00ff40 25098190 10000000 0001

the 1298424607 is also a timestamp (in microseconds).  The two values
are offset from one another but the offset shouldn't change over the
course of your test.

> I have different firmware with a more complex device descriptor (more
> interfaces and endpoints), that goes through 6 resets. Have you seen
> Windows OS perform that many resets during enumeration?

Not that I can remember.  Maybe some of the resets occur after
enumeration?  But I guess that would depend on your driver program.

> Anyway, its good to have an answer. The reason this is an issue to start
> with is that the firmware and the host app aren't designed to account
> for resets in the middle of "in" transfers. The device just doesn't have
> the SRAM or the code size to buffer much. Normally not a problem since
> resets seem rare, but with  vmware/guest running the resets often come
> after Linux has finished enumeration and started interrupt-in requests.
> At least I know what to lookout for, if I get tech support calls on this
> someday.

Isn't is possible to configure VMware so that it will leave USB devices
alone, not attempt to virtualize them?

> Thank you again for all the feedback Alan. Very much appreciated!

You're welcome.

Alan Stern