Re: Debugging bus resets

 On 05/13/2009 01:13 PM, Alan Stern wrote:
>>  It would still
>> be nice to have a good way to correlate the logs beyond manually
>> matching up requests and responses.
>>

> I'm not sure how that could be done.  usbmon runs at a layer where
> there's no particular information about the origin of an URB.
> Detailed comparison of timestamps, perhaps?  But remember, the kernel
> logs generally aren't intended for automatic analysis; they are meant
> to be read manually.

Yes, timestamps would be a great help.

>> Assuming this analysis is accurate, I guess that answers my question. I
>> wonder what vmware would say about all this.
>>

> I imagine they'd agree with your conclusions.  You're seeing a guest OS
> go through its virtualized enumeration.

I have different firmware with a more complex device descriptor (more
interfaces and endpoints), that goes through 6 resets. Have you seen
Windows OS perform that many resets during enumeration?

Anyway, its good to have an answer. The reason this is an issue to start
with is that the firmware and the host app aren't designed to account
for resets in the middle of "in" transfers. The device just doesn't have
the SRAM or the code size to buffer much. Normally not a problem since
resets seem rare, but with  vmware/guest running the resets often come
after Linux has finished enumeration and started interrupt-in requests.
At least I know what to lookout for, if I get tech support calls on this
someday.

Thank you again for all the feedback Alan. Very much appreciated!

-Brad