Re: Handling SCSI commands in USB simulator

On Wed, 13 May 2009, Madhukar G wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm developing a usb storage driver for a custom device which is under
> production. As the device is yet to be ready I thought of writing a
> simulator which acts a device.

Your description has too few details and is too unclear to be
understandable.

> I'm using drivers/usb/storage as the driver, but inorder to initiate
> SCSI commands i plugged in a Mass Storage Device (some other
> manufacturer). The storage driver gets the command and i'm submitting
> this URB

What URB?  A command isn't the same thing as an URB.

>  to simulator instead of usbcore by modifying the storage
> driver. The simulator does not process anything but assign srb->result
> with SAM_STAT_GOOD

If the simulator gets nothing but an URB, how does it manage to change
srb->result?  Does your URB somehow include a pointer to srb?

>  and returns back to storage driver. At this point i
> get command_abort status.

What does that mean?  You just said the status was set to
SAM_STAT_GOOD.

> My question is what would I need to do in simulator so that SCSI layer
> starts sending SCSI commands one after the other. Do i need to fill
> any of other members of scsi_cmnd structure in simulator so that it
> can send next command.

Your questions are still unclear.  Have you looked at
drivers/usb/gadget/file_storage.c?  It seems like a much better place
to start writing a device simulator.

Alan Stern