Re: Debugging bus resets

On Tue, 12 May 2009, Brad Schick wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback. VMware perhaps should have been an obvious
> candidate, but I built the device and it's firmware myself so I was
> focusing on where problems usually reside... in my own work.

Pardon me for sounding rude, but in this case that seems ridiculous.
The device isn't capable of initiating a port reset; only the host is.
So if you're looking for the source of those resets, why concentrate on
the device?

>  The device
> has a "vendor specific" class and protocol. There are no drivers for the
> device on any OS. It is only accessed through libusb on Linux, and the
> resets are occurring even when that libusb program is not running.
>
> I can see that the guest's enumeration could be causing resets, but I
> didn't assume that ruled out VMware itself. I don't know Vmware well,
> how does it pass through usb devices to the guest operating system? Is
> there a kernel module involved or would resets from the guest OS >
> VMware come from user land?

As far as I know, everything VMware does comes from userspace since
VMware is itself a user program.  Maybe some extra kernel modules are
bundled along with it, but I'm not aware of any.

Alan Stern