Re: getting around "Max number of devices this xHCI host supports is 32" limit

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 10:55:49AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> > Does it mean that I should indeed have 2 separate USB controllers for
> > USB-2 if I know where to tap and therefore should have a 64 device limit
> > if I spread the load?
>
> EHCI is not subject to the 32-device limit of xHCI.  A single EHCI
> controller can handle up to 126 devices.  But of course, EHCI only
> supports high speed (480 Mb/s), not SuperSpeed (>= 5000 Mb/s).

Ok, this is maybe my salvation. I'm connecting fdti adapters (i.e. usb
to very slow serial) and fastboot (android flashing protocol) which
doesn't need to be super fast either.
I'm using fancy USB3 hubs for which I've replaced the cables with USB2
cables to force the speed down to USB2/EHCI.
So the thing is that I think I'm already doing that you're saying since
I'm forcing the speed down with the USB2 cable.
Should I be using a USB2 HUB or even a USB1 hub to reduce the number of
endpoints per device further?

Re-reading https://acroname.com/blog/why-cant-i-connect-more-usb-30-devices-my-system
it says
"Each individual USB device consumes 3 USB endpoints: one endpoint for
bulk transfers, one for isochronous transfers and one for control."
and
"Many modern USB 3.0 hosts use Intel XHCI USB controllers, which impose
their own limit on the total number of endpoints to 96"
and
"If you need to add more than 18 total devices to your XHCI system and
you do not need USB 3.0 performance, the simplest solution is to use a
USB 2.0 host cable to connect your host to USBHub3+. Since the USBHub3+
is now connected only with USB 2.0, there will not be any enumeration of
USB 3.0 devices, including the USB 3.0 hub chips internal to USBHub3+.
This will effectively reduce the USBHub3+ footprint in your USB tree
from 6 devices to 3 devices."

I'm already doing the USB2 cable trick, but I don't think it's saving me
that many device slots, maybe just 2 or 3 like the last paragraph says?

> > Right, but my 1U servers only allow a single PCI card.  Is there even
> > such a thing as a PCI(e) card that has multiple USB host controllers?
> > Clearly the one I bought only has a single.
> > > 05:00.0 USB controller: Fresco Logic FL1100 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 10)
> Yes, there are such cards.  But whether you can find one with multiple
> USB-3 controllers is a different question.

I don't need multiple USB3 controllers, multiple USB2 controllers woulud
be fine, but that's probably even harder to find since I'd have to buy
one from 15y+ ago?

Mar
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                       | PGP 7F55D5F27AAF9D08