Re: getting around "Max number of devices this xHCI host supports is 32" limit

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 08:59:45AM +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> > > How do I know whether a PCI USB card I'm buying is a "discrete USB
> > > controller" as per how it's used in that sentence?
> >
> > If the PCI card has a USB host controller on it.  I think almost anyone
> > you buy will be like that.
>
> Ok, that's what I thought. Basically I need multiple USB host
> controllers since each of them will have a limit of 32. Motheroards have
> one or two?

Usually they do.  Not always.

> If I see:
> 00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 05)
> 00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 05)
> 00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 05)
>
> Does it mean that I should indeed have 2 separate USB controllers for
> USB-2 if I know where to tap and therefore should have a 64 device limit
> if I spread the load?

EHCI is not subject to the 32-device limit of xHCI.  A single EHCI
controller can handle up to 126 devices.  But of course, EHCI only
supports high speed (480 Mb/s), not SuperSpeed (>= 5000 Mb/s).

On the other hand, many computers are wired with all the external USB
ports connected to one of the controllers on the motherboard.  The
other controller may be connected to a few internal devices or to
nothing at all.

> > > Or does it just say that basically you're doubling your limit with
> > > another card, which is what I already did, and then you hit the limit
> > > again?
> >
> > Probably, there is a limit on how many devices a USB host controller can
> > handle at once, that's just the way the hardware works.
> > Keep adding PCI cards :)
>
> Right, but my 1U servers only allow a single PCI card.  Is there even
> such a thing as a PCI(e) card that has multiple USB host controllers?
> Clearly the one I bought only has a single.
> > 05:00.0 USB controller: Fresco Logic FL1100 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 10)

Yes, there are such cards.  But whether you can find one with multiple
USB-3 controllers is a different question.

Alan Stern