Re: getting around "Max number of devices this xHCI host supports is 32" limit

Hi Greg,

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 08:59:45AM +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> > How do I know whether a PCI USB card I'm buying is a "discrete USB
> > controller" as per how it's used in that sentence?
>
> If the PCI card has a USB host controller on it.  I think almost anyone
> you buy will be like that.

Ok, that's what I thought. Basically I need multiple USB host
controllers since each of them will have a limit of 32. Motheroards have
one or two?

If I see:
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 05)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 05)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 05)

Does it mean that I should indeed have 2 separate USB controllers for
USB-2 if I know where to tap and therefore should have a 64 device limit
if I spread the load?

> > Or does it just say that basically you're doubling your limit with
> > another card, which is what I already did, and then you hit the limit
> > again?
>
> Probably, there is a limit on how many devices a USB host controller can
> handle at once, that's just the way the hardware works.
> Keep adding PCI cards :)

Right, but my 1U servers only allow a single PCI card.  Is there even
such a thing as a PCI(e) card that has multiple USB host controllers?
Clearly the one I bought only has a single.
> 05:00.0 USB controller: Fresco Logic FL1100 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 10)

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                       | PGP 7F55D5F27AAF9D08