RE: Support Mac address pass through on Dell DS1000 dock

> Le 26/11/2018 à 15:21, Mario.Limonciello@xxxxxxxx a écrit :
> >
> > Any feedback from testing with this debugging patch to identify what's
> happening?
>
> This is super strange, but Mac address pass-through is now working in my
> configuration, although I did not change anything.
> The network is up and running and I have the right Mac Address

I guess I would say try it a few times to see if you can trigger your failure again.

Also it might be worth trying some different permutations of power applied to the
dock before plugging into the machine or after plugging into the machine to see
if there is some correlation with a potential ethernet controller bootup race condition.

> For your information, I recompile the kernel and this is the message I
> got in /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control:
>
> drivers/net/usb/r8152.c:5149 [r8152]rtl_get_version =_ "Detected version
> 0x%04x\012"
> drivers/net/usb/r8152.c:1178 [r8152]vendor_mac_passthru_addr_read =_
> "pass-through bit not set.\012"
> drivers/net/usb/r8152.c:1170 [r8152]vendor_mac_passthru_addr_read =_
> "Not an AD type.\012"
>
> Not sure if it is the information you were looking for (sorry, I am new
> in kernel debugging).

These indicate that you turned on the right dynamic debugging lines, but the actual
output of them will show up in your kernel log.

If you happen to reproduce the failure again while dynamic debugging is enabled for those
it should save to the kernel log what is happening.