Re: Support Mac address pass through on Dell DS1000 dock

Le 21/11/2018 à 15:01, Mario.Limonciello@xxxxxxxx a écrit :
On Nov 21, 2018 02:09, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [EXTERNAL EMAIL]
>
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 09:10:22PM +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> > Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > > I do not see any USB networking device here at all.
> >
> > No, It wasn't easy to see.  But it's there both with and without the
> > feature enabled:
> >
> >  /: Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/6p, 5000M
> >     | Port 4: Dev 10, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/7p, 5000M
> >       |__ Port 2: Dev 11, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=r8152, 5000M
>
> Ah, sorry, I missed that.
>
> > This feature is only for convenience and should never prevent the
> > network from working.  Unless the other end is confused by seeing the
> > same mac address on two ports...  Better take down or disconnect the
> > undocked interface after docking.
>
> Ok, so it seems that this driver does not support the pass-through
> option for some reason.
>
> Mario, any ideas what Frédéric can do here to help debug the issue?  He
> has some Dell hardware that does not seem to be working properly with
> the pass-through option.
>
> I place odds that the driver needs some kind of update for newer device
> signatures, which is what some of us worried about a long time ago when
> this patch first went in...

I don't have the whole context for this thread but I think I'm following that the question is why MAC address pass thru isn't activating on DS1000?

The criteria that we previously put in for this patch is still the correct criteria; R8153-AD with a particular eFuse blown.

I never heard DS1000 is supposed to meet that criteria. I thought official documentation referred to TB16 and WD15 only for Mac passthrough.

FYI I'm on holiday right now so it might take me some time to get back after this response.

Some online shops selling the DS1000 mention it supports Mac Address pass-through, for example:

https://shop.bechtle.de/medias/VXav7KboWIcl8FlvCBYV58-30.pdf
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-USB-Type-Monitor-Release-VT96R/dp/B01G6VL3I4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542809915&sr=8-1&keywords=DS1000

But actually, this might be a wrong information.
Sorry for the noise if this is the case, and too bad the DS1000 does not support pass-through.