RE: Support Mac address pass through on Dell DS1000 dock

> Le 22/11/2018 à 18:15, Oliver Neukum a écrit :

> >> OK, let us try a debugging patch.
> > Here you go.
> > PLease enable dynamic debugging for the driver and ramp up
> > your logging level.
> >

> Thanks.
> I will try the debugging patch, although Bjorn's solution seems to me to
> be the best (having something in userspace which does not depend on the
> dock/dongle device).

Any feedback from testing with this debugging patch to identify what's happening?

FWIW that was my original implementation doing it in userspace.  There are
two problems with this flow:
1) Many of the details needed to know when to activate are driver specific
internal details.  Such as knowing whether the bit to enable feature is set, and
exact chipset, and exporting the MAC address.

Yes; it's technically possible to export each of those (or even a 0/1 hint that all the r8152
driver stuff was met) and also allow end userspace policy to apply them more liberally.
The current path is supposed to apply it only at the same times that it would be in
UEFI/PXE and Windows.

2) I do recall I was encountering race condition problems with some existing
userspace utilities that tried to rename the device based on MAC address.
These would need to be resolved.