Re: [patch 0/7] Add usb root debugfs directory and move the USB subsystems to use it

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 05:44:37PM -0600, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:27:19 -0700, greg@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > With the recent discussion of dropping usbfs, the reliance on the file,
> > "devices" was discussed a lot.  Alan suggested putting it in debugfs,
> > which I liked, so I created this patch series. []
>
> >From my perspective it's not great, because debugfs is not usually
> mounted. If you could, say, stuff it into /proc/usb or something
> that would be great :-) Down with procfs absolutists.

Hey, I'm not going to create /proc/usb :)

And most distros ship with debugfs enabled, it's a single line to your
fstab to always mount the thing.

> But I can live with that. It's just incovenient to explain to
> users how to mount the filesystem, and also devices file was
> readable without privileges.

We have scripts to almost duplicate the whole thing from sysfs if their
distro doesn't allow them to mount debugfs.  See the linux-usb archives
this week, I posted Randy's script that does just this.

> > Pete, note that I moved the usbmon directory, but I think you have some
> > scripts and tools that is looking for the usbmon directory in the root
> > of debugfs.  So I created a symlink.  Does this keep the tools working?
>
> Like I care, it's debugfs. We can make it print XML tomorrow.
> If people want their tools working, they should use /dev/usbmon0,
> a Linux ABI, and not just some random files in debugfs.

Ok, I'll rip out the symlink, thanks.

> > Everyone else, any objection to these changes?
>
> I am concerned that you're trying to make debugfs even more API than
> it was already but stuffing useful stuff in it (the devices file).

It's only used for debugging these days.  Yes it's useful for those of
us who are used to seeing that file, but again, we have tools to get the
info out in almost the same form today from sysfs.

> Honestly, Mackall's attempts to use the (deprecated) text interface
> of usbmon as an argument pissed me off.

The only rule about debugfs is "there are no rules".

I'll go drop the usbmon symlink.

thanks,

greg k-h