Re: [patch 0/7] Add usb root debugfs directory and move the USB subsystems to use it

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:27:19 -0700, greg@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> With the recent discussion of dropping usbfs, the reliance on the file,
> "devices" was discussed a lot.  Alan suggested putting it in debugfs,
> which I liked, so I created this patch series. []

Oh BTW, you know what? I think it would be great to add a mode to
lsusb to gather /sys values and print a devices file to stdout.
It would relive me from the need to bother with debugfs (which we
ship, yes, but do not mount by default).

If any tools need that file too, they can open a pipe to lsusb.
It's not that much code, I think. But that's a secondary concern
for me. I'm more invested into knowing how to read the format.

It's the same "compatibility" that usbmon(8) provides. It can read
/dev/usbmon0 and print the old usbmon text, 100% compatible with
what debugfs prints.

Sorry if it was mentioned in the "recent discussion", this is the
first time I hear about the whole topic.

-- Pete