Re: [RFC] Specify/support PROTO_NONE for CDC ACM serial dongles

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 4:19 PM, David Brownell <david-b@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 02 April 2009, Russ Dill wrote:
>> > Never made much sense to me.  I'd call the cdc-acm fix obvious,
>> > and suggest it get into the -stable kernels.
>
> You should send that patch along ...

Its in the original post:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=123868369015902&w=2

>> > Unfortunately changing the serial gadget code would obviously
>> > break interop with current Linux hosts ... so what I'd do is
>> > provide some kind of feature-removal listing for that, maybe
>> > a couple years from now, so the cdc-acm host side driver fix
>> > would be relatively widely deployed before that gets changed.
>>
>> If there is a better option, I'm all for it. I think that the Network
>> Manager developers are willing to exclude vendor Netchip.
>
> That would help the NetworkManager bits.  (Where does it
> store its config files, BTW?)  But it would not address
> the interop issues at all.

By changing Network Manager, I mean to prevent it from sending AT
commands to any usb device with a Netchip vendor code that reports
itself as CDC ACM supporting V.25TER AT commands.

The file in question is:
/lib/udev/rules.d/77-nm-probe-modem-capabilities.rules