Re: [RFC] Specify/support PROTO_NONE for CDC ACM serial dongles

On Thursday 02 April 2009, Russ Dill wrote:
> so why not use USB_CDC_PROTO_NONE? It still works with the usbser.sys
> windows driver. udev rules could later be written to not consider USB
> ACM devices that have PROTO_NONE as modems.

I don't entirely recall why it uses USB_CDC_ACM_PROTO_AT_V25TER;
ISTR that's how the original serial gadget code worked (which I
didn't write).

It was probably because of some client code -- maybe cdc-acm.c
even -- which required it.  (Which version of usbser.sys was
OK with it?  XP/SP2 and newer?)

Never made much sense to me.  I'd call the cdc-acm fix obvious,
and suggest it get into the -stable kernels.

Unfortunately changing the serial gadget code would obviously
break interop with current Linux hosts ... so what I'd do is
provide some kind of feature-removal listing for that, maybe
a couple years from now, so the cdc-acm host side driver fix
would be relatively widely deployed before that gets changed.