Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/4] usb: core: Add Support for getting PTM_STATUS

Felipe Balbi <felipe.balbi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> On Wed, 25 Oct 2017, Felipe Balbi wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The following series was compile-tested only (so far, at least). I
>>> wanted to get some comments from folks to see what you guys think
>>> about this before running tests.
>>>
>>> I don't have any device available which would support PTM_STATUS so I
>>> guess I'd have to implement it on g_zero, if at all possible.
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>>
>>> Felipe Balbi (4):
>>>   usb: core: add Status Type definitions
>>>   usb: core: rename usb_get_status() 'type' argument to 'recip'
>>>   usb: core: add a 'type' parameter to usb_get_status()
>>>   usb: core: add two usb get status helpers
>>
>> You should switch the order of patches 3 and 4.  That is, replace
>> usb_get_status() with usb_get_std_status() first, and then add the type
>> parameter and the other helper routine.  That way you won't have to
>> update all the callers twice.
>
> heh, good point :-)

Actually, without patch 3 where it is, I won't have the new 'type'
parameter to write the helpers. What I could do, is in a single patch
add the helpers (and the new argument) while also converting all current
users to usb_get_std_status(). That would basically be a combination of
patches 3 and 4.

The resulting patch would be that large, actually. See diffstat below:

 drivers/staging/wlan-ng/hfa384x_usb.c |  8 ++++----
 drivers/usb/core/driver.c             |  4 ++--
 drivers/usb/core/hub.c                | 13 ++++++------
 drivers/usb/misc/usbtest.c            | 10 ++++++---
 include/linux/usb.h                   |  5 ++++-

However it's a little more changes in a single patch. Your call, I'm
fine either way :-)

--
balbi