Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/4] usb: core: Add Support for getting PTM_STATUS

On Wed, 25 Oct 2017, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The following series was compile-tested only (so far, at least). I
> wanted to get some comments from folks to see what you guys think
> about this before running tests.
>
> I don't have any device available which would support PTM_STATUS so I
> guess I'd have to implement it on g_zero, if at all possible.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Felipe Balbi (4):
>   usb: core: add Status Type definitions
>   usb: core: rename usb_get_status() 'type' argument to 'recip'
>   usb: core: add a 'type' parameter to usb_get_status()
>   usb: core: add two usb get status helpers

You should switch the order of patches 3 and 4.  That is, replace
usb_get_status() with usb_get_std_status() first, and then add the type
parameter and the other helper routine.  That way you won't have to
update all the callers twice.

Also, I noticed an extra space in patch 3:

> +	status =  kmalloc(length, GFP_KERNEL);

Otherwise this is unobjectionable.  Have you considered making the
helper routines static inline?

Alan Stern