Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/4] usb: core: Add Support for getting PTM_STATUS

Hi,

Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2017, Felipe Balbi wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The following series was compile-tested only (so far, at least). I
>> wanted to get some comments from folks to see what you guys think
>> about this before running tests.
>>
>> I don't have any device available which would support PTM_STATUS so I
>> guess I'd have to implement it on g_zero, if at all possible.
>>
>> Best Regards
>>
>> Felipe Balbi (4):
>>   usb: core: add Status Type definitions
>>   usb: core: rename usb_get_status() 'type' argument to 'recip'
>>   usb: core: add a 'type' parameter to usb_get_status()
>>   usb: core: add two usb get status helpers
>
> You should switch the order of patches 3 and 4.  That is, replace
> usb_get_status() with usb_get_std_status() first, and then add the type
> parameter and the other helper routine.  That way you won't have to
> update all the callers twice.

heh, good point :-)

> Also, I noticed an extra space in patch 3:

Will fix. There's another thing in patch 3:

 +	switch (type) {
 +	case USB_STATUS_TYPE_STANDARD:
 +		if (recip != USB_RECIP_DEVICE)
 +			return -EINVAL;
 +
 +		length = 2;
 +		break;
 +	case USB_STATUS_TYPE_PTM:
 +		length = 4;
 +		break;
 +	default:
 +		return -EINVAL;
 +	}

The branch should be done on the PTM case, not Standard. I'll fix that
too.

>> +	status =  kmalloc(length, GFP_KERNEL);
>
> Otherwise this is unobjectionable.  Have you considered making the
> helper routines static inline?

I can do that, but they are also so simple that GCC is likely to make
that decision for us. No? If you prefer static inlines in a header, I
can do that, no problem.

--
balbi