RE: Type-C port on the Asmedia ASM1142

From: Adrian Bocaniciu
> Sent: 30 September 2017 09:18
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 09:06:16 +0000
> David Laight <David.Laight@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > The correct names used in the new specification for the 4 speeds that can be supported by a USB 3
> > > interface are: .
> >
> > I think I'd add the speed itself as well.
>
> I was reffering mostly to the identifiers and comments used in the kernel source code.

So was I, don't assume that people reading the code know all about
the interface definitions.

Naming the constants USB_GEN_1x1_4G (or similar) makes things clearer.

> There is a stupid tradition started by someone at Intel, I suppose from marketing, who had the mean
> idea of presenting SATA 1.0 as 1.5 Gb/s and PCIe 1.0 as 2.5 Gb/s.
>
> Before that, nobody thought that it would be right to present,
> e.g. Gigabit Ethernet as having a speed of 1.25 Gb/s.

Or 10MHz ethernet as 20MHz :-)

Although the physical bit rate has been used before.
Can't quite remember what for though - might have been ATM.
Actually, isn't it GE - which is only 800MHz ??

	David