Re: [RFC] ARM i.MX21 Host Controller Driver

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 9:35 AM, David Brownell <david-b@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sunday 08 March 2009, Martin Fuzzey wrote:
>> Only basic functional tests (mounting flash drive, mouse, ..) have been done.
>
> See also
>
>   http://www.linux-usb.org/usbtest/#hosts
>
> As a rule ... make sure the host can run those tests against
> some "known good" hardware for a weekend or more, without any
> errors reported, before merging.  (In fact ... it should work
> with no errors under heavy load for weeks at a time.)

Thank you for pointing this out.
I was planning to do this a bit later but now have a ATNGW100 on order :)
This is one of the reasons my patch is only RFC for the moment.

A frew other questions:

The i.MX21 has a built in root hub and 3 ports, however depending on
the board layout, only some of the ports may be accessible.
When only some ports are available should GetHubDescriptor still
indicate 3? [I presume so as other drivers do this]
But in this case I just shouldn't activate the inaccessible ports - correct?

Furthermore there are two host only ports and one port that can be
configured as host / function / OTG.
Will OTG support be required before merging the hcd driver? (once all
the host only problems are fixed obviously)
I currently know next to nothing about OTG in general and the linux
implementation in particular. I've looked at drivers/usb/otg but the
isp1301 tranceiver (which my board uses) code is mixed up with omap.

If possible I would prefer to get the hcd driver merged before looking
at OTG. Are the any special things to be aware of to make later
addition of OTG go smoothly?

Regards,

Martin