Re: Regression - Linux 4.9: ums_eneub6250 broken: transfer buffer not dma capable - Trace

On Wed, 3 May 2017, Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> >> The remove part should start in usb-ene-3.log.gz with
> >>
> >> [ 4261.261188] *** thread awakened
> >
> > Starting from that point, the log file shows four apparently successful
> > writes, followed by what looks like a re-scan of the device and a bunch
> > of reads.
>
> Could it be that the rescan is responsible for those log entries, which
> can be seen after removal?

Probably.  But I'm having trouble understanding this.  Which log
entries in particular do you mean?  The writes could be the system
flushing its page buffer, and the reads could all be part of the
re-scan.  I didn't do a detailed comparison between the re-scan and the
original scan near the start of the log.

> A normal removal works like this:
> click on remove and after a few seconds (stating, that the device is
> ready to be removed now) the device entry disappears.

It's difficult to know what this involves.  Your GUI environment could
be doing lots of stuff when you click on Remove.

> In this case, it's working like this:
> Click on remove. Then always 3 device entries appear (stating, that the
> device could be removed now) and shortly after, there are two entries,
> each of them claiming that there are two actions for this device
> (opening with filemanager or with some other application). Some time
> later, one of those two entries disappear. With the resulting entry, the
> device can be reopened again (exactly the same entry as on initially
> plugged in card).

What do you mean by "3 device entries appear"?  Where do they appear?
What kind of device entries are they?

> From my point of view, the device never got disabled - if it would have
> been disabled, it wouldn't be possible to reload it again after removing
> (by click) without replugging it.

Why would clicking on Remove cause the device to be disabled?  For that
matter, exactly what do you mean when you talk about disabling the
device?  And which device are you trying to disable: the SCSI disk
device or the USB card reader device?

Is Remove supposed to be the same as unmount?  Or is it supposed to
tell the system that the memory card has been taken out of the reader?

Bear in mind that the eneub6250 driver does not detect card removal
correctly.  If you want to change cards, the best approach would be to
do a "safely remove hardware" and then unplug the reader from the
computer and replug it with the new card inserted.

Alan Stern