Re: Regression - Linux 4.9: ums_eneub6250 broken: transfer buffer not dma capable - Trace

On 05/01/2017 at 10:58 PM, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Apr 2017, Andreas Hartmann wrote:

>>> Ah.

>>> Well, the log does show that the patch wasn't quite correct.  Below is
>>> an updated version.

>>> It's possible that the updated patch will help with all those
>>> notifications.  At least, the sense data should now be correct.
>>>
>>> As for the 3 device entries, I'm not sure where to look for them in
>>> your logs.
>>
>> The remove part should start in usb-ene-3.log.gz with
>>
>> [ 4261.261188] *** thread awakened
>
> Starting from that point, the log file shows four apparently successful
> writes, followed by what looks like a re-scan of the device and a bunch
> of reads.

Could it be that the rescan is responsible for those log entries, which
can be seen after removal?
A normal removal works like this:
click on remove and after a few seconds (stating, that the device is
ready to be removed now) the device entry disappears.

In this case, it's working like this:
Click on remove. Then always 3 device entries appear (stating, that the
device could be removed now) and shortly after, there are two entries,
each of them claiming that there are two actions for this device
(opening with filemanager or with some other application). Some time
later, one of those two entries disappear. With the resulting entry, the
device can be reopened again (exactly the same entry as on initially
plugged in card).

>From my point of view, the device never got disabled - if it would have
been disabled, it wouldn't be possible to reload it again after removing
(by click) without replugging it.

>> In usb-ene-3.pcapng.gz it should start around package 2925.
>
> That is indeed where the disconnect first appears.
>
>> But to be honest - I'm missing some URB packages in the pcapng-file
>> which are reported in the log file: Between package 2924 and 2925 are
>> about 8s difference. I can't find this difference in the logfile. Is it
>> possible that there are some URBs not being sent out?
>
> No, your files are correct.  The last READ command finishes at
> timestamp 4261.990022 in the log file (entry 2924 in the pcap file).
> Everything after that is ALLOW MEDIUM REMOVAL, REQUEST SENSE, and TEST
> UNIT READY until timestamp 4269.794577 (when the disconnect occurs),
> and for those commands the driver does not perform any communication
> with the device.
>
> Which for TEST UNIT READY, at least, is undoubtedly a bug.  That
> command should return a failure if the card has been removed, and
> obviously it can't do that if it doesn't check with the device to see
> whether the card is still present.
>
> There's still no indication of three extra device entries anywhere.
>
> Alan Stern

Thanks,
kind regards,
Andreas